One villager died and 27 others were hospitalised, in north-west Cambodia’s Pursat province, after drinking homemade rice wine, which is suspected to contain high levels of methanol, a local health official said today.
Teuk Sopheap, deputy chief of Pursat Provincial Health Department, said, the incident happened on Thursday night, during the funeral of a resident in Morth Prey village, under Krakor district, where the tainted rice wine was served.
Sopheap said, the victims had developed symptoms such as eye irritation, chest pain, breathing difficulty, dizziness, headache, and fatigue after drinking the adulterated wine.
The toxic wine’s samples had been taken for a lab test, he added.
Rice wine is popular in rural areas in Cambodia due to its low price.
In Oct last year, three people died and 66 others were hospitalised in Kampong Cham province’s Stung Trang district, after drinking homemade rice wine containing dangerous levels of methanol
Source: Nam News Network