Ministry of Health Calls for Attention to Pufferfish Poisoning

Cambodia's Ministry of Health has appealed to the public to pay attention to pufferfish poisoning after a man has been killed and nine others have been hospitalised in Koh Kong province.

According to the ministry's announcement AKP received this morning, the victims who are fishermen have been poisoned after eating a six-kilogramme pufferfish.

There are ten different species of pufferfish in Cambodia, three of which (Tetraodon cochinchinensis, Monotrete leiurus, and Tetraodon fluviatilis) are poisonous, pointed out the Ministry of Health.

The three species are found to have high level of poison during their breeding period between February-March and July-September, it added, stressing that the most dangerous parts of those fish are eggs, and sperm followed by liver, intestines, skin and meat. The symptoms including lip and mouth itching, headache, dizziness, speech disorder, vomit, diarrhoea, etc. may appear from 20 minutes to 2 hours after eating.

Tetraodon cochinchinensis

Source: Agency Kampuchea Press